Blog Entry #7

"Strontium 90, released through nuclear explosions into the air, comes to earth in rain or drifts down as fallout, lodges in soil, enters into the grass or corn or wheat grown there, and in time takes up its abode in the bones of a human being, there to remain until his death."

This is an example of how our destruction can be aimed and destructive in a plethora of ways. The movement of strontium 90 is horrendous. Its amazing how transferable this substance is. All the while, Strontium 90 is emitting radioactive energy. Imagining that resting in my body is a scary thought. Being that it is transferable through water then into the food people eat, is scary. It is said that Strontium 90 can contribute to cancer and leukemia. I am reading from EPA's official website that the testing of nuclear bombs in 1960's caused it to go into the environment.
Image result for strontium 90
https://nuclear-news.net/2015/08/01/what-strontium-90-does-to-the-body/

"Can anyone believe it is possible to lay don such  barrage of poisons on the surface of the earth without making it unfit for all life? They should not be called " insecticides," but"biocides". 

When using insecticides I don't consider the impact it's having on the environment. The chapter describes that the insecticide kills both "good" and "bad" insects. I am curious to know what the good insects are. I can take a guess that a spider is a good insect because it can catch flies. I don't know by what standard an insect is labelled good. But, I do know the insects labelled as bad in my book and that is cockroaches. The cockroaches I have never considered to be a friend, but I have never considered that my attempt in ridding them of my place is causing more damage than intended. This is like the Strontium 90 example of how we aim to destroy and end up impacting more than we know.
Image result for insecticides
https://www.texilaconnect.com/tag/insecticides/

"We have subjected enormous numbers of people to contact with theses poisons, without their consent and often without their knowledge." 

This quote makes me think of how all the beings in the world are affected by insecticides. Not that all insecticides are bad but there are those that are unneccesary and cause mass migration of insects and create disease-carrying insects. The fact that exposure to insecticides can happen anywhere, alerts me. I am reading that insecticides are poisonous to everything and that it's very dangerous. With the ever-evolving chemicals within these insecticides, no consideration is for how it impacts the the environment.
Image result for harmful effects of pesticides
https://juicing-for-health.com/breakdown-pesticides-in-body

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Water